The Actiontec MI424WR Rev I comes with support for Multimedia over Coax Alliance, which is a technology created in 2004. It allows data transmission that usually flows through an Ethernet cable (also supported in this device), but in this case, it runs over a coaxial cable. That’s beside the fact that the TV network works as well in the same line.
In regard of the characteristics of the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I previously explained, we can physically describe it as a device with a couple of indicator lights in the front panel like Power, WAN Ethernet, Wan Coax, Internet, LAN Ethernet, LAN Coax, LAN Ethernet and Wireless.
Configuring the WiFi on your Actiontec MI424WR Rev I
- Enter the following link on your browser http://192.168.1.1
- On the login menu type admin as user name and password as your passphrase.
- Immediately after, you will be required to change the factory user name and password to one that accommodates you the most.
- Bellow the time zone it is also needed to be selected as a correct one depending on which area you live in.
Once you are at the Home Page you will see the main menu at the top with links for important settings of the router like Wireless Setup, My Network, Firewall, Parental Controls, Advanced Settings and System Monitoring. Under this menu, you will see a screen divided into three main columns: My Router, My Network, and Action Zone.
- As usual, we are going to concentrate our efforts to describe just the WiFi, so head towards to Wireless Settings.
- Then Basic Security Settings, below you will have to follow six steps to complete this procedure.
- First, you can choose whether if you want to have your Wireless ON or Off.
- Second, it is up to you if you decide to change the name of your Wifi or SSID, just in case please type one of your preference.
- Third, choose a channel frequency band for your routers communication.
- Fourth as a recommendation click on the button next to WEP, because that will allows encrypting your wireless traffic properly.
- Fifth Once you see the option ”Select a WEP Key” you will have to choose the level of security of your network, between “64/40 bit” or “128/104 bit”
- Sixth On Key Code, you will see a little text box, type down the new password.
For more details please let me know below into the comments box.